The first 4 commands we covered earlier:
1. COMMAND #1: DON'T MAKE GOD'S HOUSE (YOUR BODY) A DEN OF THIEVES. (JN.2:13-18)
2. COMMAND #2: YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN. (JN.3:3-7)
3. COMMAND #3: GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES. (JN.4:1-2)
4. COMMAND #4: WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH. (JN.4:23-24)
Now we get to the fifth New Testament command.
5. DO THE WILL AND WORK OF GOD: (JN.4:34)
We always hear believers quoting Jn.14:12, especially when it is talking about someone else's responsibility to take a stand in faith.
John 14:12 ESV "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.
From this Jn.14:12 verse we know that we are to do what our Lord did. This is true of Jn.4:34.
John 4:34 ESV Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
Of course we cannot go to nor are we called to go to a physical cross and die. We would die in vain to do so. But everything that our Lord did between His birth and the cross He did so as a Spirit-filled man and not as God. Therefore, because all that He accomplished He did so as a Spirit-filled man we can also do those things. It is the will of the Father that we accomplish His will. It is the will of the Father that we accomplish His work.
1. David understood the joy and responsibility of doing the will of the Father.
Psalms 40:8 ESV I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."
2. We need to ask God to teach us to do His will.
Psalms 143:10 ESV Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!
3. How important is it to do the will of the Father?
Matthew 7:21 ESV "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
1 John 2:17 ESV And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
Mark 3:33-35 ESV And he answered them, "Who are my mother and my brothers?" (34) And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! (35) For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother."
To Be Continued: