The Holy Spirit dwells within every believer. Some may be immature, weak and imperfect, but if we have been “born again” of the Spirit (See Jn.3:3-7), the Holy Spirit dwells in us (See 1 Cor.6:19, Rom.8:9).
It is one thing for us to have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, but does the Holy Spirit "have us" that He may fill us with abundant life? The abundant life is not found in environment or circumstances, or in the things we may possess. It is found in the infilling of the Holy Spirit. “Be filled with the Spirit" (See Eph.5:18) is a command.
We may be filled many, many times. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is to be Spirit- possessed, Spirit-empowered, Spirit-led and Spirit–controlled. It is a yielding up our lives daily as we die to self and living according to God's will and ways.
1. We are filled with the Spirit that we might have joy.
2. We are filled with the Spirit for service.
3. We are filled with the Spirit for power to be a bold witness.
4. We are filled with the Spirit for the hour of persecution.
5. We are filled with the Spirit that we may “walk in the Spirit” and not fulfill the desires of the flesh.
6. We are filled with the Spirit that we may be led by the Spirit.
7. We are filled with the Spirit that we might have a song in our hearts.
8. We are filled with the Spirit that we might submit to one another.
How can we be filled with the Holy Spirit?
First: We must desire Him to fill us.
Second: We must ask Him to fill us.
Third: We must believe that He does fill us.
Fourth: We must yield up control of our mind/thoughts, emotions/feeling, will/choices, and our physical body to the will and ways of the Holy Spirit. This is called "dying to self." Paul said, "I die daily."