We believe that all of God’s people are to be buried with our Lord Jesus Christ in the waters of baptism, following their conversion experience. We declare that any water baptism prior to a salvation experience of receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior is an unbiblical religious activity and carries no spiritual significance. If someone was baptized before salvation, the only thing achieved was getting wet and embracing a false religious activity with false assurance.
Baptism in water is by immersion only, and is a direct commandment of our Lord for true believers only. Water baptism is an ordinance, meaning a command to be followed and is not a sacrament meaning that it does not carry any saving qualities. Water baptism buries old Adam and the Adamic nature and is a symbol of the Christian’s identification with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. We believe that water baptism is the obedient response to the command of the Lord.
1. Baptism is a command. Everyone who confesses Christ should be baptized.
2. The English word "baptism" comes from the Greek words “bap'to” which means to overwhelm with water and "bap'tiz'o" which means to fully overwhelm or make fully wet. This is done through complete immersion, and not sprinkling.
3. Baptism represents a burial of the old way of life and mindset.
4. Coming up out of the water after baptism represents when Christ rose from the dead. For us it means that we are making a choice to live out the "new man" and the life of our Lord Jesus Christ.
5. Baptism is not a prerequisite to salvation.
6. It is an unbiblical religious activity to baptize infants and to baptize those who have not been saved.
7. Baptism is to be participated in when the concept it represents can be fully understood by the participant.
8. We baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in accordance with the Scriptural record.
Matthew 28:19; Acts 2:38; 8:36-39; 19:1-6; Romans 6:4; Colossians 2:12
Charles Morris. Founder and Senior Pastor of RSIM USA.